ripple_large.jpg

Ripple App

Ripple a scheduling app for busy Canadians to sign up and volunteer for for one-time, non-profit run events.

volunteering app

Ripple a scheduling app for busy Canadians (21-35 yrs) to sign up and volunteer for for one-time, non-profit run events. 


2019

Personal Project
Completed at Red Academy

Surveys and Interviews
User Personas and Flow
Wireframes (Sketch)
User Testing (InVision)
High Fidelity Design (Sketch)
Branding & Identity
Illustrations


The Problem

The problem space started with a conversation with my roommate about the difficulty of recruiting for volunteers. The truth is that Canadians (21-35 years old), lead busy lives. They have good intentions of helping their community but find it hard to make time for themselves, let alone making long-term volunteer commitments; priority is placed on having a balanced schedule outside of work. A survey from Statistics Canada showed that 67% of Canadians don’t volunteer because they don’t have enough time, and 62% can’t make a long-term commitment

Research

At the start of the project, I sent out a survey to gather insight around general perceptions on volunteering, how people currently find volunteer opportunities, and habits around making plans. Using the 28 survey responses, some of the biggest barriers became features in the app:

  • Flexible scheduling: 95% of respondents named time and commitment is the biggest reason they don’t volunteer

  • Clear expectations: 35% couldn’t recall the last time they volunteered, and they won’t sign up for something if the information isn’t clear

  • Buddy system: 39% would ask a friend for volunteer recommendations first. It’s less intimidating if a friend suggests or signs up with them

These findings also reconfirmed my problem statement, and guided the process for a user persona and user flow for my wireframes. 

Teasing out information from the 28 responses.

Teasing out information from the 28 responses.

Wireframes and User Testing

Developing a user flow and initial wireframes was the most challenging and rewarding part of the process. It’s easy to get lost in your own idea of the app. I learned to test often, and be specific about what you’re testing for.

Validating Through User Testing

Between the first and second round of wireframes, I found that context was crucial for user testing. I gave each participant three tasks to complete using a mid-fidelity design through InVision, which provided more accurate data that helped drive my design decisions. Key findings:

  • Planning happens week-to-week: 3 participants based their decision-making on the day of the week, rather than the actual date format (01/01). This was reflected in the second round of wireframes through prioritized search functions and inserting language such as “today”, “tomorrow” and “this week.”

  • Get rid of the informal language: The original wireframes included compelling language such as “Count me in!”. All participants found the language confusing when it came to making a decision to sign-up. The informal language was removed in the second round to increase confidence around navigation and decision-making.

  • Simpler navigation: A hamburger menu icon was placed in the top left of the screen, but 2 participants found it hard to reach. With only 4 main functions in the navigations, the icon was replaced with a visible menu at the bottom of the screen. Keep it simple!

brand concept

Every action counts, and those actions create a larger, deeper effect than any one person. Ripple’s design is playful at heart, and uses a limited colour palette with endless hues when multiplied on top of each other. 

Branding and UI Design

There was a lot of excitement for this app as I was testing the prototype with participants. It was amazing to see people genuinely excited about volunteering, at whatever capacity they could; this led to the concept behind the logo and visual identity of Ripple. The ripple effect influenced every aspect of the brand, including the logo, colour palette, and organic style of illustrations.

Final Thoughts

This project taught me so many fundamentals of design thinking and UX design. I found some aspects challenging (but rewarding): interviewing participants with empathy and a qualitative intent, collecting and distilling my own data, expanding my understanding of good UI practices, and branding the app with full creative control.

To take this project further, I would consider:

  • implementing features to emphasize a buddy system

  • add more flexible search flows and fine-tune the language around the app

  • developing a post-sign up process after a volunteer experience (ratings, social media, etc).

You can read about the process in full detail, or try out the prototype I used for testing.